This new pasta substitute isn't just healthy, it's delicious, filling, and totally 'gram-worthy.
We know you're trying your very hardest to stick to your New Years resolutions, but if you're like us, the common proposal of cutting out unhealthy foods and swapping in more fruits and veggies is proving to be a little difficult. Because as often as you try to trick your brain into thinking that a boring salad is a plate full of fettuccine alfredo... It's just not. Enter zoodles (otherwise known as zucchini noodles), our new favorite substitute for carb-heavy pasta noodles. Complete with tons of healthy vitamins, a serving of veggies, and loads of satisfying fiber, we're finding all sorts of ways to incorporate them into our meals. Added bonus: They look great on the 'gram. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Asian-Inspired Zoodles: Toss your cooked zoodles with some sautéd peppers, carrots, and watercress, then top with a light sesame ginger dressing. Sprinkle on chopped peanuts and some red pepper flakes for an added kick.
- Zoodle-Quinoa Salad: Mix together protein-rich quinoa and zoodles for a fun combination of textures. Add in your favorite protein and a helping of kale (maybe even wear your Kale Performance Leggings!), and you've got the perfect light, but still filling, lunch.
- Zoodle Marinara: So easy, but still just as good as the real thing! Simply top your zoodles with your favorite marinara sauce, maybe even add in some meatballs, and you've got a much healthier version of your favorite comfort food.
Basic zoodle ingredients:
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash zucchinis in cold water and pat dry.
- Follow the instructions on your spiralizer to create long, thin strands of zucchini. Place into a bowl.
- Bring a pan or skillet to medium heat. Coat with olive oil.
- Place raw zoodles in the pan to cook, gently using a spatula to move them around so they cook evenly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 3 - 5 minutes, or until they begin to slightly brown. Avoid over-cooking, or they will shrivel down to almost nothing!
- Remove from pan and serve as you wish!
How are you eating your trendy zoodles? Let us know in the comments below!